Rainbow Orzo is stuffed in gorgeous, seasonal, summer squash and garnished with asparagus tips, bell peppers, and fresh feta cheese for a light and refreshing summer meal.
1 lb. Pappardelle’s Pasta Rainbow Orzo
2 whole yellow squash or zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
½ lb. shrimp, fully peeled, cooked until pink
1 small yellow onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, minced
1 bunch asparagus, ends removed, cut into small bit size pieces
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1 bunch fresh basil, stems removed
2-3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the orzo until al dente, approximately 10 minutes. Drain. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and toss together. Reserve.
2. Heat a large sauté pan to medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Sauté the onion and bell pepper for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, asparagus pieces, and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes more. Remove from heat.
3. Add the orzo, basil, and additional olive oil (if needed). Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Scoop the insides of the squash or zucchini out with a spoon to form a “boat” for the filling to sit in. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon equal amounts of the filling into each of the halves. Sprinkle with feta cheese overtop.
5. Bake on a foil lined baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Filling should be hot and cheese should be slightly golden-brown in color. Sprinkle with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. Serve hot or cold.