For a hearty vegetarian meal, our chefs have whipped up a vegetable-focused tomato sauce to bring a punch of flavor with none of the guilt! Designed to resemble the flavors and textures of a traditional meat sauce…the “meaty” flavor profile of portabella mushrooms and the protein-packed nature of red lentils (14-18 grams of Protein in 1 cup of lentils) takes the meaning of a vegetarian meal to a whole new level. “Meat-lover” or not, this is sure to please the entire family.
1 lb. Pappardelle’s Garlic Parsley Fettuccine
2 tablespoons Bella Sol California EVOO
1/2 medium onion, small dice
1 medium carrot, peeled, small dice
1 medium stalk celery, small dice
1 large portabella mushroom, cleaned, stems removed, gills scraped, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3/4 cup red wine (optional)
1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tablespoon Bragg liquid aminos (optional)
1 bay leaf
Pinch of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fresh basil, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, for garnish
2 tablespoons tofu “ricotta”, for garnish (optional)
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Heat EVOO over medium heat in a large saucepot. Saute onion, carrot and celery until onions are translucent, about 5 mins. Add diced mushroom, garlic and salt & pepper, to taste. Cook for about 10 mins., stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in tomato paste until vegetables are evenly coated. Deglaze the pan with red wine and let cook until liquid has reduced by half, stirring constantly to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan as the liquid reduces. Add lentils, tomatoes, stock, liquid aminos, bay leaf, nutmeg, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 25 mins., or until lentils are tender. Stir occasionally and add more stock if mixture looks too thick.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 8-10 mins. Drain and set aside.
4. Remove sauce from heat. Remove bay leaf and stir in basil and yeast. Season sauce with salt & pepper, to taste.
5. Serve portabella mushroom and red lentil tomato sauce over pasta. Garnish with parsley and tofu “ricotta”, if desired. Enjoy!