This delicious pasta bake combines the fun flavors of jalapeno poppers. Perfect paired with an ice cold beer!
1 lb. Green Jalapeño Fettuccine
5 medium sized jalapeno peppers
10 bacon slices, cut into batons
1 lb. cooked, shredded chicken
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
3 c. milk
1.5 c. pepper jack or cheddar cheese
4 oz. cream cheese
2 green onions, sliced
Panko bread crumbs
1. Turn oven broiler to high heat. Lightly coat jalapeño peppers in oil, place on a sheet tray, and broil for about 15-20 minutes or until skin is black and blistered all over. Place in a ziplock bag, seal, and set aside until cooled. Once cool, peel and de-seed peppers and roughly chop. Preheat oven to 400 degrees when finished with the broiler.
2. While peppers are broiling, heat a saute pan over medium-low heat. Cook bacon until crispy and fat is rendered. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
3. Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
4. While water is heating, set a deep sided sauce pot over medium-low heat. Add butter; once melted, add flour and whisk together for a few minutes. Once a roux forms, add milk a bit at a time, continuously whisking until slightly thickened. When thickened, add 1 c. pepper jack or cheddar cheese and 3 oz. of cream cheese and stir until melted.
5. Cook pasta until al dente, 8-10 minutes. Reserve pasta water.
6. In a large bowl combine cooked pasta, roasted jalapeño, bacon, shredded chicken, cheese sauce, green onions, remaining cheese, and a few ladles of pasta water. Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with panko.
7. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and bubbly. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.