Fanciful Fruit Blend with a smoky, garlicky sauce may sound a little crazy, but creator Cassie Masters promises it's an oddly addicting dish. We here at Pappardelle's tried it ourselves and the quirky combination of sweet, salty, creamy, cheesy, and light fruit finish has got us hooked. Take Cassie's word for it and give it a try tonight!
1 lb. Pappardelle's Fanciful Fruit Blend
1 lb. Tofu or Chicken, sliced in 1/2" rectangles
1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
3 tablespoons Paprika
2 tablespoons Ground Chipotle Pepper
1 tablespoon Black Pepper
1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
Zest of 1 Lime
Juice of 1 Lime
3 tablespoons Butter
2 cups Milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 Large Zucchini, sliced
Salt to Taste
1. In a large bowl for dredging tofu or chicken, mix flour, paprika, chipotle, cayenne, black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and lime zest. Reserve 3 tablespoons of mixture for sauce.
2. In a similar sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and lime juice. One piece at a time, dredge protein in flour mixture, egg mixture, and flour mixture again. If using tofu, set on a plate or tray and freeze for about 30 minutes.
3. In a large skillet, heat 1" of oil to 350° F. In small batches, fry protein until golden-brown. Remove to a draining sheet and salt to taste. Drain off the excess oil in the skillet, leaving only about a tablespoon along with the leftover spices.
4. Sauté zucchini in same skillet, until tender.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add Fanciful Fruit Blend and boil until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving pasta water for the sauce.
6. While pasta is cooking, heat a sauté pan to medium-low and add butter. Add reserved flour mixture and whisk until incorporated and the flour begins to cook. Slowly add the milk, continuously whisking to keep the sauce smooth. Add cheese in small batches, careful that the milk does not come to a boil. Continue whisking sauce until it is thicker than you think it should be. Add reserved pasta water until desired consistency is reached. Toss pasta in sauce to coat.
7. Plate pasta, zucchini, and protein, sprinkle with black pepper and parmesan cheese, and enjoy!