For this week’s Wednesday Recipe, we bring you a lightened-up version of a fall comfort meal. The crispy seared chicken breast and braised leeks are a wonderful and flavorful combination that is traditionally found all across Europe. We paired this beloved medley with our very popular Lemon Garlic Orzo and topped it with some charred broccoli for the perfect comfort food.
1 lb. Pappardelle’s Lemon Garlic Orzo
2 tablespoons Bella Sol California EVOO
4 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
2 leeks, washed, ends removed, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 head broccoli, ends removed, chopped
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Lay broccoli florets onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with EVOO, to taste, and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, to taste. Roast for about 20 mins. Once done, remove from oven and set aside.
2. While broccoli is cooking, heat EVOO over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Season chicken breasts with salt & pepper, to taste, and lightly dredge in flour (shake off excess flour). Sear chicken until golden brown on each side. Remove from pan and let rest.
3. In the same pan, add the leeks and sauté over medium-high heat for about 5 mins. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Deglaze the pan with white wine by scraping the bottom of the pan gently while it comes to a boil. Cook for 2 mins. to allow the liquid to reduce slightly. Add chicken back to the pan with the leeks. Reduce heat to low and cover with a tight fitting lid. Let cook for 15-20 mins., or until leeks are slightly caramelized.
4. Meanwhile, in a sauce pot, bring the stock to a boil. Add orzo and cook until al dente, about 8-10 mins. Drain orzo mixture over a bowl to catch the cooking liquid. Add orzo to a mixing bowl and stir in some Parmesan until fully combined. While stirring, slowly drizzle some cooked pasta water into orzo mixture until desired consistency is reached.
5. Serve orzo in a serving dish and top with braised leeks and chicken. Garnish with charred broccoli florets and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.