In honor of National Pierogi Day, we have taken a spin on a classic this football season and added some Pappardelle's flare to it. Spicy Jalapeño & Cheddar Pierogi meets mac & cheese meets a loaded baked potato! Sound too good to be true, right? Check out this tasty recipe to experience a comfort food casserole that will be sure to steal the winning title this season.
24 oz. Pappardelle’s Jalapeño & Cheddar Pierogi
1/2 lb. bacon, diced and cooked
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup half & half
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
Sour cream, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place frozen pierogi in a single layer by over lapping the edges to fill a 9 x 13 baking dish. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepot, melt the butter over medium heat. Once it has melted, whisk in flour. Continue to whisk and cook for 3-5 mins., or until a blonde roux is formed. Combine chicken stock and half & half and slowly, while whisking, pour the liquid mixture into the roux. Continue to whisk until it is well combined and smooth.
3. Cook until mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 mins. Remove from heat. Add 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, a little bit at a time, stirring frequently, until cheese is fully melted. Season with nutmeg, cayenne, and salt & pepper, to taste.
4. Pour the cheese sauce over the pierogi in the baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 mins., or until it is hot and bubbly and browned on the surface.
5. Garnish with crispy bacon, green onions and sour cream. Let sit 5-10 mins. before serving. Enjoy!