- 1 lb. Pappardelle's Whole Wheat Lemon Chive Spaghetti
- 1 large artichoke
- 1 large lemon, cut in half
- 2 medium-sized zucchini
- 1 large stalk of celery
- 1 medium-sized red onion, peeled*
- 1 medium-sized carrot, scraped*
- 20 large sprigs Italian parsley, leaves only*
- 6 tablespoons Bella Sol California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb. ripe, fresh (or canned) tomatoes*
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste*
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes*
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano*
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef broth*
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
*Or use Pappardelle's (11 oz.) Spicy Pomodoro Sauce with Pepita Basil Pesto
- Place artichoke in a bowl of cold water with lemon halves. Place zucchini & celery in a separate bowl of cold water. Soak for 30 minutes. Clean artichoke and cut into 1-inch pieces. Cut zucchini & celery lengthwise into quarters, then 1/2-inch pieces.
- Finely chop onion, carrot & parsley. Place oil in a heavy, medium-sized flameproof casserole over low heat. When hot, sauté chopped ingredients for 10 minutes. Add Step 1 vegetables and sauté for 2 minutes. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Cut fresh tomatoes into pieces and pass through a food mill using disk with smallest holes. Add to casserole and season with the spices. Cook covered for an additional 20 minutes. Add the broth, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Sauce may be prepared a day in advance and reheated. (-Or- *For easier prep, use Pappardelle's (11 oz.) Salsa D'Inverno (Winter Tomato Sauce) in place of “*” items and steps.)
- Cook pasta in 6-8 quarts of boiling salted water until al dente (about 8-10 minutes). As pasta cooks, warm a large serving dish and ladle some sauce onto it. Drain pasta well, transfer to serving dish & top with remaining sauce & freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.