- 1 lb. Pappardelle’s Red Jalapeño Fettuccine
- 3 cups Texas Tomato Broth* (see below)
- ¾ cup light cream or half & half
Texas Tomato Broth*
- 6 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-½ tablespoons ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Bella Sol Modena Barrel-Aged Balsamic
- 3 tablespoons Bella Sol California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-½ cups red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 lbs. Roma tomatoes, halved
- 2-½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups tomato purée
*Or use Pappardelle's (7 oz.) Fire-Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
1. For the broth: combine garlic, thyme, basil, salt, pepper, vinegar, olive oil and red onions and place in 2 (9x13 in.) non-reactive, oven proof pans, spreading evenly to edges. Place tomatoes (cut side up) on top. Bake in a 325 degree oven until tomatoes wilt and onions begin to caramelize, about 40–60 minutes. Scrape out tomatoes and onions, place in a blender, and add brown sugar, tomato juice and tomato purée. Purée until smooth. Can be refrigerated up to 4 days (or frozen up to 2 months). (-Or- *Use Pappardelle’s (7 oz.) Fire-Roasted Red Pepper Pesto instead of broth.)
2. Combine broth and cream in saucepan and heat until hot, but not boiling.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta in 6-8 quarts of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente (about 8-10 minutes). Drain and transfer to a heated pasta bowl.
4. Pour sauce over pasta and serve at once.