- 1 lb. Pappardelle’s Southwest Chile Roja Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast or lean beef steak
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 3/4 lb. firm ripe tomato, cored and chopped
- 1/2 lb. firm, ripe tomatillos, husked, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 oz. Pappardelle’s Cilantro & Roasted Poblano Chile Pesto
- In mixing bowl, stir olive oil with lemon and lime juices, oregano and 1 garlic clove. Add the chicken or beef and coat. Marinate about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat broiler. Coat broiler tray lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken or beef on tray and broil until golden, about 7 minutes per side.
- While chicken is cooking, make salsa. In large skillet, heat pesto with remaining garlic & saute over moderate heat. When sizzling, add onion and red pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomatillos and sugar and continue to saute for 7-10 minutes, until sauce is thick but still slightly liquid.
- Cook pasta in 6-8 quarts of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente (about 8-10 minutes). Drain. Toss with chicken mixture and serve.
- As soon as chicken or beef is done, cut it crosswise into 1/2 in. wide strips. Spoon sauce over cooked pasta and top with chicken or beef.