- 12 oz. Pappardelle’s Black Bean and Red Pepper Ravioli
- 1 lb. Roma tomatoes
- 1 onion, cut in half
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed and sliced in half
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped coarsely
- Mexican cheese (optional)
- Preheat the broiler. Place the tomatoes, garlic, chiles and onion on a baking tray covered in aluminum foil. Broil, turning frequently until charred, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool.
- In a food processor or blender, place all of the roasted ingredients and water and purée until smooth. Season with sea salt.
- Transfer puréed mixture to a saucepan and let simmer for 15 minutes, or until slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, cook ravioli in 4 quarts of water for each pound. Add a hearty pinch of salt. Bring water to a full boil, reduce heat and then add ravioli. (If you add ravioli when the water is at a robust boil, you risk having the ravioli split open.) Occasionally, stir gently to prevent ravioli from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Once water returns to a gentle boil, cook about 8-12 minutes. Drain carefully, or simply use a slotted spoon to remove the ravioli individually from the pot.
- Serve ravioli in pasta bowls with sauce on top; garnish with fresh cilantro and a sprinkling of your favorite Mexican cheese.