Mushrooms, ground bison, white sauce, cheese & fabulous peppercorn trio noodles ... so good! Thanks to Andreina R., from Mentor, OH, for contributing this great dish.
3/4 lb. Peppercorn Trio Lasagna
1 lb. ground bison
1 1/2 lbs. assorted mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, finely minced
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 cups 2% milk
3/4 - 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 lb. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Remove from heat. Add lasagna noodles for 2-4 minutes to soften. Remove from water.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add ground bison. Season to taste. Cook until meat loses red color, careful to not overcook. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add mushrooms, garlic, and seasoning to taste. Cook until mushrooms have softened and browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When butter is melted, sprinkle flour over and whisk to combine, cooking for 1 minute. Slowly add milk while whisking. Add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to whisk until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread a thin layer of sauce on bottom of pan. Layer with lasagna. Spread 1/2 of mushrooms over noodles. Spread 1/2 of bison over mushrooms. Layer 1/3 of mozzarella over bison. Sprinkle generously with romano cheese. Spread 1/3 of remaining sauce over cheese. Repeat process for next layer. For last layer, add lasagna, sauce, mozzarella, and finish with romano cheese. (Lasagna can be refrigerated overnight to allow flavors to marry. Bring to room temperature before baking.)
6. Bake 45 minutes - 1 hour. Remove from heat and let rest for 15 minutes. Serve & enjoy!