- 1/2 lb. Pappardelle’s Supreme Orzo
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 lb. mussels, scrubbed
- 1/4 lb. firm white fish, cubed
- 1/4 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 lb. scallops
- Cook orzo in a pot of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente (about 8-10 minutes). Drain and rinse. Reserve.
- Combine all stew ingredients in a large non-reactive kettle. Bring to a simmer and cook until carrots are tender. Time permitting, make this broth several hours before proceeding to Step 3.
- Add mussels to stew and cook until opened. Add remaining seafood in order listed, allowing about 1 minute between each addition. Add reserved orzo and simmer until seafood is cooked and orzo is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately, with crusty bread on the side for dipping into broth.