- 1 lb. Pappardelle’s Basil Spelt Linguine
- 2 lbs. eggplant, preferably small ones
- Bella Sol California Olive Oil (for grilling)
- 3 lbs. ripe, juicy tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Bella Sol California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- If your eggplants are young, you don’t need to salt them. If they are older and bigger eggplants, cut them in rounds and lightly salt them to help remove some of the bitterness.
- Grill eggplants, brushing with olive oil so they don’t stick. Once grilled, let cool and then slice into long strips.
- Quarter the tomatoes and place them on a baking sheet. Roast in a 375 degree oven for 30-45 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in 6-8 quarts of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente (about 8-10 minutes). Drain.
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes and fresh oregano. Cook for 2-3 more minutes for flavors to meld. Add drained pasta and mix thoroughly. Serve with eggplant strips on top of each bowl of pasta. Sprinkle freshly ground Parmesan on top.