- 9 oz. Pappardelle’s Della Terra Trumpet Trio
- 1/2 tablespoon Bella Sol California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 large fennel bulb (trimmed, halved through core, thinly sliced lengthwise - about 3 cups - fronds chopped)
- 1/2 lb. spicy Italian sausage, casings removed and sausage coarsely crumbled
- 4 oz. fresh crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (or more) low-salt gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (plus additional for garnish)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced fennel bulb, sausage, and mushrooms; sauté until sausage is brown and cooked through and fennel is almost tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds; stir 1 minute. Stir in cream, then 1/2 cup broth; boil until liquid is reduced and very slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, but still firm, stirring occasionally (14 to 16 minutes). Drain pasta and return to same pot.
- Add sausage mixture to pasta in pot. Toss over medium heat until blended. Add spinach; toss gently until spinach wilts. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese; add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls to moisten if dry. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with chopped fennel fronds, and serve. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.