- 1/2 lb. Pappardelle’s Four Peppercorn Fettuccine
- 3-5 dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casing removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 lb. fresh white mushrooms, chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Soak dried porcini mushrooms in 1 cup very hot water.
- In a large sauté pan, cook sausage until brown. Add onion and cook 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and basil.
- Cook pasta in a pot of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente (about 8-10 minutes). Save 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water. Drain and rinse with warm water.
- Drain and rinse soaked porcini (they can be very sandy, so do rinse). Chop porcini if needed. Add to sauté pan with fresh white mushrooms. Cook for 15 minutes. Add reserved pasta water if too dry. Add salt and pepper.
- Ladle sauce over individual plates of pasta. Serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.