- 3/4 lb. Pappardelle’s Cracked Pepper Fettuccine
- 2 live lobsters, about 1-1/2 lbs. each
- 1/2 teaspoon dried green peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 stick butter (8 tablespoons)*
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt*
- *For an even creamier taste, add 8 oz. Pappardelle’s Lemon Alfredo Sauce before butter and reduce butter to 4 tablespoons and salt to 1/2 tsp.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook lobsters until just done, about 10 minutes, after water returns to boil. When cool enough to handle, separate tail sections and large claws from body. With tails upside down, use large sharp knife to cut them in half lengthwise. Remove tail meat from shell and cut into 3/4 inch pieces. Transfer pieces to a bowl. Crack large claw legs over bowl to capture juices. Remove leg meat and cut into 3/4 inch pieces and add to bowl. Remove claw meat, keeping whole if possible, for later use as garnish.
- Crush the peppercorns. In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over moderately low heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add white wine and cook until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Cut the remaining 7 tablespoons of butter into pieces. Over the lowest possible heat, whisk in the butter in 3 batches, adding each batch when previous one is incorporated. Butter should soften to form creamy sauce, but should not melt completely. Add the green and black pepper and salt and remove from heat. For an even creamier taste, add 8 oz. Pappardelle’s Lemon Alfredo Sauce before butter and reduce butter to 4 tablespoons and salt to 1/2 tsp.
- Cook pasta in 6-8 quarts of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente (about 8-10 minutes). Drain and return to the hot pot, together with the lobster and any juice it’s given off and the butter sauce. Serve at once.