This classic French dish, perfectly paired with our Garlic Chive Pappardelle, is sure to kick the cold weather blues to the curb.
1 lb. Garlic Chive Pappardelle
3 lb. chicken thighs & drumsticks
Flour for dredging
1/4 c. carrots, small dice
1/4 c. celery, small dice
1/2 c. onion, small dice
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. pearl onions, boiled & skins removed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 c. dry white wine
1-1/2 c. chicken stock
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
6 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon shallot, minced
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1. Heat a large cast-iron saucepot to medium-high heat with enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour until completely coated. Brown the chicken in the heated oil until golden brown on both sides. Remove and set aside.
3. Using the same saucepot, add the carrots, onion, and celery, sauteeing until onions are translucent. Add garlic and pearl onions, seasoning with salt and pepper; add tomato paste once color begins to develop.
4. Deglaze with white wine and reduce for a minute or two. Add the chicken stock, thyme, bay leaf, chicken pieces, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cover. Let cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken falls off the bone and sauce has reduced to desired consistency.
5. While chicken is cooking, heat a skillet to medium-high heat and add a knob of butter. Add the shallots and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are slightly browned and begin to release moisture. Season to taste.
6. Put a large pot of salted water on to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Serve the pasta topped with chicken, sauce, and mushrooms, garnishing with parsley and Parmigiano.