Heather H., of Gulf Breeze, FL, created this dish with gorgeous, smooth, flavorful pasta, topped with a spicy Arrabbiata sauce, and calamari rings. She touts that this beautiful pasta will gain you oohs and aahs when you serve it, and we'd have to agree! Thanks for the recipe, Heather!
1 lb. Venetian Calamari Linguine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
1 15oz can tomato sauce
Vegetable oil, for frying
1/2 lb. calamari rings
1 c. rolled oats, approximately
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon chili powder
1. Bring a pot of water to boil and add a dash of salt. Bring pot down to a soft boil at medium heat and add pasta; cook for 9 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
2. Meanwhile, place a large sauté pan with olive oil over medium heat; sauté garlic, onion, and red pepper flake until golden. Add a can of tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree and add salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
3. Bring a fryer to 350° with appropriate amount of oil; if using a sauce pan, fill almost halfway with oil and heat over medium.
4. Grind up enough rolled oats to equal 1/2 cup. (Author’s note: They don’t have to be completely ground up, some oats were still whole.) Mix with parsley, chili powder, and salt. Coat the calamari very generously in dry mixture and fry for 1-1/2 minutes.
5. Plate pasta, add sauce, and top with calamari rings!