- 1 lb. Pappardelle’s Seven Grain Orzo
- 5 cups fresh butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2-½ tablespoons Bella Sol California Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2-½ cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup canned, crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups low-salt, gluten-free chicken broth
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped and divided
- ½ cup grated Kasseri cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss squash with 1-1/2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Transfer squash to a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender and brown around edges, using a spatula to turn occasionally, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions until softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and cinnamon, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, then broth and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce heat; simmer until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in squash. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm, stirring occasionally (8 to 10 minutes). Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid, then drain and return pasta to pot.
- Add squash mixture, half of cilantro, and half of cheese; toss. Add reserved cooking liquid by 1/3 cupful to moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer pasta to a bowl. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and cheese.