Enjoying cake with beer might not sound like a natural pairing, but this Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake and Crazy Mountain's Lava Lake Wit were made for each other. This super moist, not too sweet cake is perfect with the spices and citrus that make this beer so unique and drinkable.
3 blood oranges
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk or yogurt
2/3 c. Bella Sol Blood Orange Olive Oil
1-3/4 c. flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 blood oranges, for garnish
Whipped cream, for garnish
Powdered sugar, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8 or 9 inch springform pan.
2. Grate zest of 2 oranges and combine with sugar in a large bowl. With your fingers, rub ingredients together so that the zest and sugar are completely mixed together.
3. Supreme two oranges; using a serrated knife, cut off the top and bottom so the fruit is exposed. Stand up on a cutting board and follow the curve of the orange to cut the peel and pith. Hold over a small bowl and cut out each section by slicing between the flesh and membrane on each side, which should result in the wedges coming out easily.
4. Cut the last orange in half and squeeze juice into a measuring cup. Add enough buttermilk or yogurt to result in 2/3 c. total. Add to zest and sugar mixture and mix. Whisk in eggs and olive oil.
5. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Gently fold into wet ingredients; add orange segments and fold in. Pour batter into springform pan.
6. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 or 10 minutes before unmolding. Dust with powdered sugar and serve at room temperature with more blood orange segments and whipped cream.